A home for new plays
In Table|Room|Stage our mission is to create an effective, welcoming environment where playwrights can write their most urgent, tender, and shimmering worlds into existence.
We are interested in work that:
- Stands at an angle to the world and shows us something anew
- Explores the edges, depths and heights of human experience
- Uses language with originality and vibrancy
- Embodies a muscular narrative structure and rigorous intelligence
- Offers a distinctly theatrical experience
- Risks failure rather than repeats formula
- Has an opinion and seeks to change the conversation
What’s happening in T|R|S:
- At the Table offers commissions to start a new play, to finish one already begun, and to revisit one that hasn’t yet been fully realized. We are committed to offering women, non-binary, and transgender writers, writers of color, and writers of work for young audiences a place at the table.
- On The Workbench delves into projects that test the idea of what theatre can be.
- In the House is home for our Playwright in Residence.
- Fresh Eyes brings “civilians” into the rehearsal room and invites their observations and insights.
- The Oregon Play Prize is a special commission for an Oregon playwright chosen by Oregonians.
In August 2014, Artists Rep was the recipient of a $125,000 Oregon Community Foundation “Creative Heights Initiative” grant to establish a robust New Play Development program that will create opportunities for local and national playwrights, ensure that underrepresented voices are heard on stage and establish Artists Rep and Portland as an engine for new play development, nationally. Luan Schooler was chosen to lead the bold two-year pilot program.