Table | Room | Stage
Table|Room|Stage (T|R|S) was established in 2015 as Artists Rep’s new play program with a mission to develop and produce new work by writers of color, women, trans-, and gender nonconforming writers.
We offer an environment where these playwrights can create provocative, intimate new theatre pieces that challenge, illuminate, and inspire, and vividly express Artists Rep’s aesthetic values.
We are interested in work that:
- Stands at an angle to the world and shows us something anew
- Explores the edges, depths and heights of human experience
- Uses language with originality and vibrancy
- Embodies a muscular narrative structure and rigorous intelligence
- Offers a distinctly theatrical experience and embraces ‘liveness’ as an essential quality
- Risks failure rather than repeats formula
- Has an opinion and seeks to change the conversation
- Galvanizes collaboration with our audiences and stimulates conversation and engagement
- Re-imagines how theatre is made and shared
World premieres and vital second productions by some of the nation’s most exciting emerging playwrights.
Fresh Eyes Blog
Artists Rep’s Fresh Eyes program brings ‘civilians’ into the rehearsal process. On selected productions each season, we invite writers from diverse backgrounds to join us for a few rehearsals, and then share their observations of the process and the play in the Fresh Eyes blog. We hope the distinctive perspectives of our guests will illuminate the inner workings of a production, and enrich the experience for our audiences and community at large.
I’m sitting in a rehearsal hall at this production's first table read and I know nothing except the title: School Girls, Or: The African Mean Girls Play . I picked to write about this particular show on a whim. Like the few things I get to say yes to these days, it...
Within the Sand On the set of La Ruta, the sand encroaches from every side, a symbol of the constant, surrounding fear of daily life for the women of Juarez. “... the only thing between our beds and the desert is a thin layer of concrete.” The piles of sand in the...
Driven By the Wind Attending the table reading of La Ruta was a powerful experience, and there are many vivid scenes that linger in my mind. One scene in particular resonates with me for a variety of reasons. Though the stage direction was just read aloud, I could...